Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hanging with the 501st...Kinda & the Wampa's Debut

Today was the day the Wampa was unleashed to the masses. His first troop and I got to see it, along with his oldest son and his brother. This was at the final Tampa Bay Storm's game of the season, held against the Orlando Predators.

As he was sent off with the troops to get ready I chatted up with a few of the guys. They were excited about having a Wampa among their ranks. I gave one of the guys a few tips on how to get him into that thing and it turns out he studied the video that was posted on youtube, to make sure he knew how to help him get in there. So I took a moment and told him I plan to apply to the 501st next year. He asked who I planned on becoming (I had told him about my other costume and mentioned I made two lightsabers myself). I took a breathe and told him my first will be Juno Eclipse. And then I told him the crazy plan of making a Starkiller costumes. I was waiting for a you're crazy or something else. But I got enthusiasm. And he told me of other Starkillers and asked me which one I plan on making and I told him the red and black concept. He seemed impressed I would try this. I took that as encouragement because I wasn't sure what they would think of this. Off the troops went to get ready.

We had people asking what we brought in and got stopped trying to take the costume in a couple of times going "is that the wampa?" They didn't know what they were in for. We hung out side in the plaza and a Stormtrooper came out to see the crowd. Then he was joined by a few other troopers which I had Gavin pose for some pics with them. Then came out Vader, Leia, Han Solo and Anakin too. We of course took some pics with them too. They moved closer to the door and then the Wampa comes out along with a Chewbecca. I had to push my way through the crowd to get to see them. Sadly no pic. I chatted up with a few of the other troopers and we talked about CV and my applying next year to the 501st.

Then we got to go into the game. We grabbed seats on the 3rd level wondering where they were going to be. Next thing you know we see the Wampa on the big screen. And right across from us, 1 level down there is the troops. I know they were there with a school group to do like a meet and greet with the kids. At one point I swear I saw a kid hanging off the Wampa's arm and was told later that kids were jumping at the opportunity for pic and hug with the Wampa. All and all a successful debut test run for the Wampa.




No comments:

Post a Comment