Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 25, 2012

My Need For Ink

I've been wanting for awhile to write why I choose to get tattoos. Yes my name is Genna and I am an addict. I'm addicted to tattoos. I'm not the only one. I've met several people that once you get one you can't stop.

I've been getting tattoos for about 9 years. As of today I have 19 tattoos, and many of my tattoos are random themes. Within my first year of getting tattoos I had 4. I generally go 6-12 months between getting tattoos. 12 months is usually too long. I start getting the itch around 5 months after the last one.

My last tattoo was in September of last year. I made it 5 months this time. And this time I got 2. Number 18 and 19.


A majority of my tattoos are on my arms at this point. The count is 1 on each ankle. 4 on my left arm. 7 on my right arm. 6 on my back. My left arm will be next. I do get the feeling that I'm unbalanced but I'll explain why the 2 were added to the right arm today.

I knew I wanted to have half sleeves, shoulders to elbows. These 2 new ones are a great jumping point to start the right sleeve. I'm already working on the ideas to do my next tattoo that will pretty much cover a chunk of whats left of the outside of my right arm. I was only going to do the imperial cog but someone suggested they could see me with the mando skull. I decided why not and get both. So I did.

With the exception of 2 of my tattoos which one was done out of town and another done at a convention (my R2-KT tribute) all of mine of come from the same company. Atomic Tattoo. First time I walked into one of their shops I had that feeling that this was the place. So I keep going to them. I've had several different artists work on me. And I have no complaints.

I find getting tattooed very relaxing and calming and stress relieving. At one point I use to go to tanning beds. I found that 15 minutes was great. I had 15 minutes of forced time to myself where I could relax. I stopped going for no particular reason. Once I started getting tattooed I realized who good it was to relax. Oh and I'm not a fan of needles. Except when getting tattooed. I can watch the artist tattoo me. Or I can take a nap. No I do not pass out from pain, I really do fall asleep for about 15-20 minutes. I generally chat with the artist for a bit then just zone out. Don't get me wrong it does hurt but I just let go of it and let go of everything on my mind. It's the same way no matter if I go with a friend or by myself. Even with a friend there it's still relaxing.

I wasn't planning on going today. Once I have it in my mind to get tattooed I carry the art with me that I want. I've been carry 2 sheets of paper around for about a week. I was out doing errands and said screw it I want to get a tattoo today. So I did. My guess around September I'll be getting another 1 or 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment