Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wally the Wampa Backpack

Along the lines of the Star Wars backpacks like the Chewy, Yoda and R2 ones, I decided I wanted a Wampa backpack. Since I'm the wampa handler and that is probably the one thing I'm most known for these days and since no one has one available to buy I decided to make one myself...kinda.
At Star Wars Celebration 5 they released a wampa plush that the arm could come off. I'm not too crafty so I decided to take that exclusive plush and turn it into a backpack. I hunted him down online and soon he was here.
I took a kids backpack to get the straps plus the fabric I would need to make a pocket. I cut the straps at the seams. Then cut out the inside lining to make the pocket. I sewed the straps into the shoulder area of the plush. Then again above the legs. Next I realize I couldn't cut into the fur like I thought to turn the insides into a bag. So I took the lining folded it over, sewed it over, attached snaps and then sewed it between the straps. Its not a large pouch but I can put in a few things, like my cell phone or my wallet or my camera. Just the basics.
I wore the wampack both days at Megacon and people were stopping me and taking pictures and asked where I bought it. He was a hit. I did have one person surprised that I did this to an exclusive but then again they loved it. I had several people wanting me to make one for them as well.
I will eventually cut into the fur and into the insides to make it really into a backpack to hold more and add a zipper to it. But for right now Wally is just a cute little backpack for me to carry around at conventions and events.
On a side note on where the name Wally came from. At SWCV, we went to the Ice Bar one night. There was one lady there that had this plush and she called him Wally. It kinda stuck. So I dub thee Wally the Wampack.

No comments:

Post a Comment