Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Litany Against Fear Tattoo Design

I'm as much a Dune fan as I am a Star Wars fan. I started reading Dune when I was young. Saw the original movie on cable TV. And when I mean original I mean the one from 1984. That's right the one with Sting in it.

There is a quote from the books and the movie that has always stuck in my mind. It is more or less a prayer. It's the Litany Against Fear and this is the whole quote.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Dune

Like I said before this has always been on my mind. Everyone has their prayers they use. Instead of one of the more common prayers used, I heard it spoken on TV once and it was not Dune. It was an episode of Law & Order SVU. I don't remember the exact episode or what was going on but it surprised me when that character said the words. I immediately went back and listened more closely and she was repeating the whole Litany.

As some of you know I have been working on doing half sleeves on my arm and what would be a better addition to my sleeves then the Litany. Since the Litany is fairly long I choose one part of it to use in a design. I will face my fear. It sums up the Litany with just 5 words. But of course I can never do anything simple when it comes to my tattoos. I couldn't decide on how or what I wanted it to look like. So instead of describing it I will show it in transformation from text to how it will look on my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment